Tag Archives: hangers

Life Update + Easy DIY Gift

We’re back!  As alluded to in the previous post, we’ve been a little preoccupied for the last few weeks – we got married! WOO! We had a lovely celebration on October 1, and then spent a week in Jamaica.  Now we’ve been back for a few days and are enjoying settling into married life which, surprisingly, is not all that different than our life before.  I think it helped a lot that we’ve been living together for a while.  Controversial to some I guess, but I’m happy that we didn’t have any weird habits or other surprises to adjust to during our first weeks of marriage (not that we don’t have those issues…we definitely do…but at least we went into our wedding with full disclosure which is important for us lawyer-types).

Luckily for the hundreds tens of people who happen to read this blog, we still managed to keep busy with a few projects amidst all the wedding craziness.  I didn’t share these earlier because (1) I barely had time to do them, let alone blog about them, and (2) I didn’t want to ruin some surprises, especially ones concerning the wedding.  

One such project was a gift I wanted to make for my bridesmaids.  I first saw the idea of personalized hangers on some of the wedding blogs I’ve been stalking for the last year, and thought they were so cute!

You can buy them on etsy (like the one above), but they average ~$20 a pop + S&H and I wasn’t about to spend over $100 on 5 hangers.  So, I decided to give it a try on my own and gathered the following supplies:

Here’s what you’ll need:

  1. Hangers (the kind without the bar across the bottom): I got this 5-pack at Wal-Mart for under $5
  2. Wire (any gauge you want…I’d go thicker than the one I used)
  3. A drill bit (slightly thicker than the size of the wire)
  4. Drill
  5. Hot glue gun
  6. Needle nose pliers

First, I drilled two holes into the bottom of each hanger, one on each side, for the wire to attach.

Don’t drill all the way through the hanger. That would suck.

After I had all the holes drilled, I started on the names.  This is kind of a trial-and-error process, so I can’t really explain exactly how it should be done.  One tip that helped me was to see the names written in cursive and try to mimic it with the wire.

I printed this one, but for the others I just typed them and looked at my screen for reference.  Obviously I didn’t follow it exactly, but it helped.

As far as how much wire to use, that’s another thing where it just depends on the length of the name, the size of the letters, etc.  I started each name by cutting a ~3 foot length of wire, and began the first letter about 8 inches in from the left side (to allow some length to attach everything to the hanger).  Once you’re finished, you’ll have a name with lots of extra wire on either end, and you can measure/trim everything to fit.

In the above example, I trimmed the wire basically right where my index finger is.  You want to leave enough that it will fit in the hole you drilled, and will allow the name to be straight.  Bending the wire up at a 90 degree angle to meet the hole helps with this.

To make sure the wire stays in the hole, I put a dab of hot glue on the end of the wire and then held it in the hole for a few seconds ‘til it dried. Pretty simple.

That’s basically it! Here are most of the finished products:

They certainly aren’t as pretty as the ones you can buy, but they did the job of holding the dresses and the other bridesmaid gift:

These lovely robes from plumprettysugar.com!  I love this website – they have tons of pretty, feminine designs to choose from and I think they were a big hit.

PS: the pretty lady in the middle is Joanna…go check out her blog!

xox, katie

About these ads

Leave a comment

Filed under DIY